Toad, a German Shorthaired Pointer, was playing around outdoors near his Kuna, Idaho home when he came across a rattlesnake.
The rattlesnake grabbed ahold of him and bit the poor dog 5 times.
“As I approached him, I saw a snake cartwheeling airborne and when I got up to him, I kept him in between me and the snake and when I went to grab him, huge mistake, there were several snakes,” his owner, Fritz Brownell, told KTVB.
Toad’s owners hurried him to the vet, but sadly the venom had actually already taken effect and also he started bleeding from his lips and gums.
The veterinarians rapidly examined him and saw that he was bit on both sides of his face, as well as several times on his front left leg. He instantly swelled up, but vets provided him a dose of anti-venom.
His owners feared he would not make it, however luckily he pulled through.
As Toad remains to recover, his owners are now warning various other pet owners to be familiar with their environments where rattlesnakes might be.
Idaho Fish and Game says the best point to do now is to maintain your canines on a leash while out walking in the foothills or desert.