Angry Hull guy beat puppy unconscious and made threat to 'kill it' after it peed on him

Angry Hull guy beat puppy unconscious and made threat to ‘kill it’ after it peed on him

Jake Atkin has been told he will not be able to have or look after any animal for a minimum of five years.

A Hull man beat a puppy unconscious and threatened to “kill it” after it urinated on his leg.

Jake Atkin, 24, had actually currently taken eight-week old whippet Blaze to the veterinarian twice for an injury after the puppy “walked into a door” and after that for mistakenly eating chocolate.

However on November 27 last year, simply four weeks after getting Blaze, Atkin flew into a rage while on the phone to a friend because Blaze and urinated on his leg. The puppy was left unconscious and could quickly have died, Hull Magistrates Court heard.

See Also : Ailing Homeless Dog Shut His Eyes, Knowing He Was Lastly Safe For First Time

Atkin, of Pitt Street, west Hull, previously confessed causing unneeded suffering to a protected animal and showed up prior to magistrates on Monday for sentencing. Philip Brown, prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, explained to the court what happened that day on November 27 last year.

He said: “That day a friend of the defendant returned Blaze to him after taking care of him for a while. Later she called him and they were talking and then the phone went dead.

” She called him back and he remained in an extremely agitated state because he claimed ‘the dog had p **** d on his leg. She shed contact again and when she got hold of him again he was still extremely angry and told her that if she did not gather the puppy he would certainly ‘kill it’.

Whippet puppy Blaze was almost beaten to death by owner Jake Atkin (Image: RSPCA)

” She visited the defendant’s home as quickly as possible. She found the puppy unconscious and he was taken to the PDSA. The veterinarian analyzed him and found he had deadly injuries and he remained unconscious until the following day.

” The injuries included blood to his right eye and extensive swelling to his head. The veterinarian concluded the injuries were not caused mistakenly but by blunt pressure injury.”

Thankfully, Blaze had actually made a recovery however because of his extremely young age it is unclear whether the injuries he received will have a long-lasting impact.

Mr Brown claimed: “Blaze has actually been rehomed and is recovering from his experience. This was a major circumstance and he suffered significant pain.

” The defendant claimed he had a blackout and can not explain just how the animal came by its injuries. It is clear he lost all self-constraint. He struggles with bi-polar and was taking steroids which led to his anger issues.”

Ben Hibbert, mitigating, urged magistrates to accept the suggestion of the pre-sentence report which suggested a community sentence. He claimed his client was not opposed to a ban on owning a dog which he accepted “was excessive to take on”. But Mr Hibbert said his client might want to own a reptile in the future and requested for the restriction not to cover all animals.

The magistrates handed Atkin a 12-month community order with a mental health therapy requirement for six months. He was likewise banned from having any animal for a minimum period of five years. He was likewise ordered to pay ₤ 400 costs and a ₤ 95 surcharge.